This morning my Mom was trying a new chicken curry recipe she found online. She served it to me as she wanted feedback on how it was?
When she served it to me I was busy and preoccupied with thoughts about the soon to come appraisal at my office. Multiple stories of interactions were running in my mind on how it might and might not go.
I ate the food hurriedly and missed on actually tasting the food properly. So when she asked me how it was? I paused for a moment and just said “It was good” But then she caught me off guard with another question “Was it better than the other chicken curry I prepare regularly?” I had no answer. I just said yes and pushed away from there.
I was so caught up worrying about the appraisal that I forgot to enjoy the lovely food she gave me. I realized, this is what we always do. We are always busy replaying the events from the past both good and bad and overthinking about future events.
Reality Check: Those past events have already occurred and cannot be changed and most of future events we imagined won’t happen. But the time we waste thinking about past and worrying about future is actually the time in Present and now that we are wasting.
The present moment is like a stream of river which keeps on moving. The moment you get distracted you miss on enjoying the awesomeness it carries. You cannot hold it or stop it as it would just pass. But one thing you can do is stop being sad for the past and worrying for the future and live in the present and enjoy it to the fullest.
This definitely doesn’t mean you don’t dreams for your future. You absolutely can. But do the mindful work to achieve it in the present.
When we begin to live in the present, is when we start to experience all sorts of beautiful things, like enjoying the food we it, you observe the smiling face of your little one, you are more at peace and work better for me your future, you get in tune with yourself and others.
Here are a few steps on how you can live in the present:
- Love yourself and practice gratitude. Be thankful for the day and appreciate everything you achieved today
- Forgive yourself and don’t dwell in the past. If there are any events that bother you from the past forgive it .
- Don’t worry about the future rather imagine your future self and work for it today.
- Meditate and practice mindfulness. Concentrate on you breathing. Be mindful of your emotions and address the ones that needs attention.
- Observe your surroundings. Looks the kids playing, the lady selling flowers at the toad side. Give them a smile. You’ll make their hour for sure.
- Eat mindfully, Savor every thing that you are eating. Concentrate on the burst of flavour in your mouth.
- Get rid of distractions that take you away from the present moment.
You can start with these simple habits at just 5 mins a day and gradually grow. You will soon see how everything calms down, you see your problems getting smaller and are able to deal with them better. You are able to enjoy little precious moments. You savour the healthy relationship you build and much more.
If you want to understand more about living in present I’d recommend you read my favorite book on the topic Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
Take care and be present.