It’s 2017 and finding success these days has become really difficult. A lot of us want to be successful but merely a single digit percentage of people actually succeed. We feel sad about our failures but barely learn anything from it and try to look around for ways that can bring us closer to success.
One of the crucial steps that most of us go wrong with is that we surround our selves with people who are just like us or that are equally successful or unsuccessful. Just look around, what kind of people are you surrounding your self with? Are they someone with extraordinary talent? Or someone who earns way more than you? or someone who has succeeded in multiple ventures?
If that’s the set of people that surround you? you are on the right track. But since you are reading this article, I assume (please excuse me for judging) that not 100% the case. The reason why this is the case is that we feel uncomfortable in the company of more successful people. We feel uncomfortable because it makes us feel bad, it makes us feel low about our selves, it makes us feel dumb and stupid and in all it makes us feel like a failure. But let’s be real, isn’t that the case already? We choose to be with mediocre people because we don’t like getting uncomfortable. It’s an escapist strategy that leads us nowhere.
If you want to be successful, surround your self with people who are more successful than you, those who earn more money than you and those who are intellectually way wiser and stronger than you. This is one of the fastest ways to succeed. The more you surround your self with these kind of people, the feeling of being uncomfortable with itself make you contemplate your actions and priorities. Their experience give you a lot to learn. You begin to take charge of your situation and take actions to make it better.
Following steps can help you surround your self with successful people:
A) Get rid of mediocre people in your life:
- Rate your self out of 10 (10 being the highest) in various aspects of life.
- Identify where you want to be
- Now rate the people that surround you on the same aspects.
- Let loose the people who score same as you or less than you in each aspect.
- Remember the rule of thumb if there is someone constantly complaining about situations instead of taking charge, they are the people who you should let loose first.
- This may be difficult when performing this with your family members. But try and slowly cut down the time you spend with them. This would be crucial for your success.
B) Identify the successful influential people and connect with them:
- Identify what do you want to succeed at?
- Find the right people who can be of help in getting you where you want to be. For example, if you want to be rich, surround your self with someone who earns way more than you. If you want to be fit, surround your self with someone who is way more fit and healthy.
- Ideally one should have a diverse set of people to look up to.
- You can attend seminars, networking events, social groups
- Confidently approach the right people. Ensure to not appear like a leach who is there to suck up on their success and hard work
- Identify if they have any ongoing concerns that you may possibly help them with and Offer to help. They would really appreciate it and reciprocate at times.
- Don’t forget to follow up and stay in touch with people you meet at events.
Doing this may be nerve-wracking at times as you sometimes may feel that you do not offer much worth to those highly successful people. But if you stay consistent you should soon see the difference.
One last thing: If you like this post, please like it and share it to spread the word 🙂